Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Mail Day!!

I got in from the barn this morning to find a couple of packages outside my door, one of them being an awesome box from Dan over at Saints of the Cheap Seats. Dan hosted a box break of 2007 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection a few weeks ago. I participated in it and took the Blue Jays--of course---while I didn't get any big hits, btw, I still haven't ever pulled an auto, I got a couple of really cool base cards of Roy Halladay and Vernon Wells. A few weeks ago I had sent some cards to Dan (not much that's for sure!) and today I got the return box, Dan knocked off a bunch of cards off of many of my lists, 92 D, 83T 88 89 Score, 2008 Upper Deck base, 2007 UD Masterpieces and an awesome Dave Winfield Blue Jay card from 2008 UD Masterpieces. Thanks Dan!!! I have those AA and MM cards to get in the mail!

I haven't talked about my favorite players around here, I have the Jays listed up above, but not any players. My favorite player of all time is the late, great Wilver Dornell "Willie" "Pops" Stargell. I have no idea why, he just clicked for me a little kid. From there, Dave Stieb was my favorite Blue Jay and holds that honor to this day, although Doc Halladay is coming on strong! The third player who I liked as a kid was light hitting SS from the Padres Timothy Earl Flannery I really have no idea why I liked Tim until tonight when I was looking at the Flannery card that came from Dan. It is an 89 Score # 513 and right there on the back of the card in the write up about Tim not getting much playing time in 88 with San Diego was this quote from Tim "I think nine years isn't bad for a guy who can't run, can't hit, and can't throw, I go to bed every night with a smile on my face." I now know why Tim Flannery is one of my favorite players of all-time.

No comments: